Identity and Finding Common Ground

It has been an interesting couple of weeks in class reflecting on the idea of identity. I found myself beginning to explore the idea of how the discovery of one’s own personal identity can be explored and nurtured through participation in community music activities. In particular I was wondering about how the community I work with, teenagers, is able to form their personal identity in a time of tremendous change in their lives.  How do they find the courage to express their authentic selves when the pressure to conform into a peer group is so intense? How can they find the time and space to process who they are, who they want to be, and how to get there when it seems that our school system is more preoccupied with boosting provincial test scores than creating the structure for them to thrive as whole human beings. As I was skimming “Engaging With Community Music” (Higgins, and Willingham) I found deep resonance with the idea that one’s full and complete participation in community actually comes from a true knowledge and expression of self.

In my music program we operate from of foundation of creating inclusive spaces of belong where all community members can find the opportunity and support to fully reach their individual and collective potential. As we have worked towards that goal it has just simply made sense to help our community members develop a deeper sense of self, to create spaces for the community to reflect on the concept of identity and how they might bring that as a gift to share with the larger community. Operating in this paradigm has meant that as we raise up and empower student leaders we have needed to equip them to be leaders who are interested in doing things WITH the community and not FOR the community. The act of doing things WITH means that all community members participate in the journey of personal and musical growth.  It means that each person is encouraged and empowered to contribute themselves to the community.  In fact the health of the community is actually tied to this deep engagement and contribution of each individual person.  The idea that the success, and health of my music program is set up in a way that requires the exploration and sharing of personal identity was something that I had never purposefully considered.  I have often wondered why over the past 8 years students have referred to our community as a place of deep meaning, belonging, a place of family, and of empowerment.  As I have considered the concept of identity I am beginning to see that part of that reality is due to the necessity of exploring and contributing personal identity. In the act of bearing witness to that in others we have found common ground and purpose.

One of the most important events in our calendar that helps to develop that sense of personal discovery alongside others is our annual music camp called TMC.  It is here that students are able to leave behind the distractions of school, peer groups, work, and family. Students, like us, at times confuse activity with identity and when we strip away activities, and routines we are often in a better state to be able to truly explore the concept of self, purpose, connection, and belonging. Combined with creating shared musical experiences, camp becomes a place of community formation for both new students, and long standing community members.  The picture below is Gary Diggins leading our community through an exploration of the heroic journey.  He facilitated this exploration through the tools of story telling, soundscape creation, and personal reflection.  It was a powerful time of exploring self, and connecting with others. The thought that community music is based on the discovery and sharing of the authentic self with others  caused me to feel a deeper sense of connection to the learning and practice of community music. This photo was from camp last fall.  I plan to write a blog complete with audio interviews from our camp that will take place in a few weeks.

This is Gary Diggins working with the students in my music program at our annual camp. Camp is where we forge deeper bonds of connection as we make music, and engage in the journey of self discovery.

3 thoughts on “Identity and Finding Common Ground

1. Amazing Josh! I have been involved in some camps with young people as well and I think you’re absolutely right that getting them out of their regular routine and environment can help them make big positive changes. Thanks so much for posting this.

2. Thank you for these reflections. I was inspired to write my own blog about high school music,

http://fevison.edublogs.org/2018/09/24/23/

but here are some thoughts that may contribute to the discussion.

I believe passionately that we are all created for community. My frame of reference, as you know, is the faith community – where we are connected by a common bond that transcends generations, ethnicities, gender, vocation, interests, etc. In my community, they have tried to make it a safe place to be your authentic self and be loved despite differences – the saying is that “we are all equal at the foot of the cross”. It’s a place where different abilities are celebrated and welcomed as “gifts” to be shared with one another. This is very empowering. And, it is a place where we consider ourselves a spiritual family and care for one another in practical ways, such as meals during illness or difficulty, help with a house move or roofing/gardening help, emotional support, celebration together of life’s special moments, etc . Of course, I am describing an ideal scenario, and I realize that many people’s experiences in a Christian community do not reflect this, but from reading the New Testament, I believe that this type of community is what was the original plan for the church, and I am blessed to a part of a church that seeks to put these things into action.

I say all that to say this: there have been many changes in modern society that have led to a loss of a sense of community, one of those changes being a significant decline in people being a part of a faith community where they can experience those deeper connections. For example, I was a youth leader for many years, and saw first hand the closeness experienced by the teens as they navigated these uncertain years and the love and acceptance poured out into their lives by the other leaders and larger church congregation. (We did use music to some extent in this mini-community within the larger community. It resonated with many but not all of the teenagers.)

So in the case of your students, then it makes sense to me that they would find deep meaning and purpose in being part of the school musical community, especially if they are not a part of another type of community, such as a faith-based one.

I have never before pondered this deeply about that high school experience, but I realize now that I actually have strong views on the importance of school music programs! You are doing wonderful and important things, Josh. I look forward to hearing your camp interviews in a few weeks.

1. Just to clarify: “I have never before pondered this deeply about that high school experience” refers to my blog post references above, which was inspired by your blog post.